If you’re the proud owner of a weighted blanket, you know how incredibly comfortable and soothing it can be. But what happens when you’re not using it? Do you know how to store it correctly to keep it in top condition for longer?
Weighted blankets are made from several layers of fabric and filled with small, weighted objects. Improper storage could lead to matting or damaging the weighted filling, the fabric or the overall quality of the blanket. Fortunately, storing your weighted blanket correctly is easy once you know how. In this article, we’ll walk you through the best tips and tricks to keep your blanket in great shape for longer.
- Proper storage is important for maintaining your weighted blanket’s quality and lifespan.
- Before storing, clean your weighted blanket according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Choose a dry, cool, well-ventilated storage space to prevent moisture buildup or odours.
- Fold and wrap the blanket properly to avoid creases and tangles.
- You can use storage containers or bags to protect the blanket from dust, pests, and potential damage.
- Regular check-ups and maintenance can help identify any issues that may arise during storage.
Why Proper Storage is Important for Weighted Blankets
If you are the proud owner of a weighted blanket, you know just how beneficial they can be for a good night’s sleep. However, did you know that proper storage is just as important as using it? Storing your weighted blanket properly can help maintain its quality and ensure it lasts longer.
Improper storage can lead to damage or deterioration of the blanket’s weighted filling, fabric, or overall quality. As a result, it is crucial to pay close attention to how you store this type of bedding to avoid any potential problems.
Why Proper Storage is Important for Weighted Blankets
Here are some reasons why proper storage is important for weighted blankets:
- Prevents damage to the blanket’s weighted filling and fabrics
- Protects the blanket from dust, pests, and moisture buildup
- Ensures the blanket remains in good condition and lasts longer
By following proper storage techniques, you can keep your weighted blanket in excellent condition and enjoy its benefits for years to come.
Cleaning Your Weighted Blanket Before Storage
It’s important to clean your weighted blanket before storing it to ensure it stays fresh and ready to use the next time you need it. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Check the manufacturer’s instructions: Before cleaning your weighted blanket, be sure to carefully check the label or manufacturer’s website for specific cleaning instructions. Different materials and types of blankets may require different cleaning methods, so it’s important to follow these instructions to prevent damage to your weighted blanket.
- Spot clean as needed: If there are any stains or spills on your weighted blanket, try to spot clean them with a damp cloth before washing the entire blanket. This can help prevent spreading the stain or damaging the filling.
- Wash in a gentle cycle: When it’s time to wash your weighted blanket, use a gentle cycle and mild detergent to avoid damaging the fabric or filling. Avoid using fabric softener or bleach as these can also damage the blanket.
- Air dry: Once the blanket is washed, hang it up or lay it flat to air dry. Avoid using the dryer as the high heat can damage the weighted filling or shrink the fabric.
By following these tips, you can help ensure your weighted blanket stays fresh and clean for the next time you need it.
Choosing the Right Storage Location
When it comes to storing your weighted blanket, choosing the right location is critical to keeping it in good condition.
Firstly, make sure that the space you choose is dry, cool, and well-ventilated. Moisture buildup can lead to musty odours, mould, and mildew, which can damage the fabric and weigh down the filling. Ideal spots include closets, drawers, or shelves in a spare room or cupboard.
Try to avoid areas that are prone to temperature changes or direct sunlight, such as attics, garages, or basements. Extreme temperatures can cause the filling to shift or clump, and UV rays can fade the colour and weaken the fabric.
Additionally, consider the location in relation to potential sources of dust, dirt, or pests. If you live in a dusty or humid environment or have pets, it may be beneficial to store your blanket in a sealed container or bag to protect it from these elements.
Folding and Wrapping Techniques
Properly folding and wrapping your weighted blanket before storage is essential to avoid damage to the weighted filling and preserve its quality.
Here are some step-by-step instructions to help you correctly fold and wrap your weighted blanket:
- Spread your weighted blanket flat on a clean surface.
- Fold the blanket in half lengthwise, bringing the top edge down to the bottom edge.
- Next, fold the blanket in half widthwise, bringing the left edge to the right edge.
- Continue folding the blanket in half widthwise until you reach the desired size for storage.
- Use a piece of cotton or muslin to wrap the folded blanket to protect it from dust or dirt.
- Store the wrapped blanket in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and moisture.
When wrapping your weighted blanket, be sure not to apply too much pressure to the blanket’s edges, as this may cause damage to the filler inside.
By following these simple folding and wrapping techniques, you can ensure your weighted blanket stays in great condition and ready for use whenever you need it.
Using Storage Containers or Bags
If you want extra protection for your weighted blanket during storage, consider using a storage container or specialised bag. These products are designed to keep blankets safe from dust, pests, and other potential hazards that could damage the blanket over time.
When choosing a storage container or bag, look for one that is large enough to accommodate your weighted blanket without squeezing it too tightly. This will help prevent creases and damage to the blanket’s filling. A breathable container or bag is also important to avoid moisture buildup, which can lead to unpleasant odours or even mold.
Before storing your weighted blanket in a container or bag, make sure it is completely clean and dry. If any moisture or dirt is left on the blanket, it could attract pests or cause mildew during storage.
Place the weighted blanket in the container or bag, making sure it is folded neatly and without any creases. If the container or bag has a zipper, make sure it is fully closed to prevent dust or pests from entering. You can also add some cedar chips or other natural repellents to the container or bag to further deter pests.
When storing your weighted blanket in a container or bag, keep it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. If the container or bag is not breathable, make sure to air it out periodically to prevent any musty odours from developing.
Avoiding Common Mistakes
When storing your weighted blanket, there are a few common mistakes you should avoid to ensure it stays in good condition:
- Do not store your weighted blanket in a plastic bag without ventilation. This can trap moisture and cause mildew or musty odours to develop.
- Avoid exposing your weighted blanket to direct sunlight, as this can cause the fabric to fade and the weighted filling to deteriorate.
- Do not store your weighted blanket in a damp environment, as this can promote mold growth and damage the blanket’s fabric and fill.
- Avoid using strong detergents or fabric softeners when cleaning your weighted blanket before storage, as these can damage the fabric and the weighted filling.
- Do not machine wash or dry your weighted blanket, unless the manufacturer explicitly states it is safe to do so.
By avoiding these common mistakes, you can ensure your weighted blanket stays in great condition and is ready to use whenever you need it.
Regular Check-Ups and Maintenance
Even with proper storage, it’s important to periodically check your weighted blanket for any signs of damage or pests. This ensures that any issues can be addressed before they cause further damage. Here are some tips for regular check-ups and maintenance:
- Inspect the blanket for tears, holes, or loose threads
- Check for any signs of pests such as bed bugs or moths
- Make sure there are no stains or odours
- If necessary, wash the blanket following the manufacturer’s instructions
By performing regular check-ups and maintenance, you can ensure that your weighted blanket stays in great condition for years to come.
Seasonal Storage Considerations
If you’re not going to be using your weighted blanket for an extended period of time, such as during the summer months, it’s important to take extra care when storing it. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Clean before storing: Make sure your blanket is clean and free of any spills or stains before storing it.
- Choose a cool and dry location: Find a storage location that is cool and dry, such as a closet or under bed storage. Avoid storing in hot or humid areas, as this can damage the filling and fabric.
- Avoid direct sunlight: Keep your blanket away from direct sunlight to prevent fading and damage to the fabric and filling.
- Consider using vacuum sealed bags: Vacuum sealed bags can help to protect your blanket from moisture, dust, and pests. Just make sure to remove as much air as possible to prevent any potential damage to the filling.
- Check on it regularly: Be sure to check on your stored weighted blanket periodically to make sure it’s still in good condition and hasn’t been damaged or infested by pests.
By following these seasonal storage considerations, you can help ensure that your weighted blanket stays in great condition for years to come.
Congratulations! You now have all the information you need to properly store your weighted blanket and ensure it stays in top condition. Remember that proper storage is key to maintaining the quality of your blanket and ensuring a good night’s sleep for years to come.
Be sure to clean your blanket according to the manufacturer’s instructions before storing it. Consider using a storage container or bag to protect your blanket from dust, pests and other damage. Don’t forget to choose a dry, cool and well-ventilated location for storage.
Regular check-ups and maintenance are important to address any issues that may arise during storage. And, when it’s time to store your blanket for an extended period, consider seasonal storage considerations to protect its quality.
By following these tips, your weighted blanket will be ready to provide you with comfort and relaxation whenever you need it. Sweet dreams!
Q: How should I store a weighted blanket?
A: Proper storage of a weighted blanket is essential to maintain its quality. Here are some top tips for easy storage:
Q: Why is proper storage important for weighted blankets?
A: Proper storage helps to prevent damage or deterioration of the weighted filling, fabric, or overall quality of the blanket.
Q: How do I clean my weighted blanket before storage?
A: Before storing your weighted blanket, it’s important to clean it properly. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions and consider these tips:
Q: How do I choose the right storage location for my weighted blanket?
A: When selecting a storage location for your weighted blanket, keep these factors in mind:
Q: What is the best way to fold and wrap a weighted blanket for storage?
A: Follow these step-by-step instructions to properly fold and wrap your weighted blanket:
Q: Can I use storage containers or bags for my weighted blanket?
A: Using storage containers or bags designed for blankets offers several benefits:
Q: What are some common mistakes to avoid when storing a weighted blanket?
A: To ensure proper storage of your weighted blanket, avoid these common mistakes:
Q: Do I need to perform regular check-ups and maintenance on my stored weighted blanket?
A: Regular check-ups and maintenance are important to keep your stored weighted blanket in good condition. Follow these guidelines:
Q: What should I consider for seasonal storage of my weighted blanket?
A: When storing your weighted blanket during seasons of non-use, keep these considerations in mind: